Harvest USA is searching for their next senior leader! The President of Harvest USA will have the opportunity to lead and serve as the primary voice for a crucial ministry that champions Biblical sexuality and provides resources for sexual strugglers.
This opportunity is best suited for an individual who is called to the specific mission of Harvest USA. This leader will have experience in teaching and ministering authoritatively in the area of Biblical sexuality. They will be a proven visionary leader with the ability to build on the rich legacy of Harvest USA.
The right leader will benefit from the opportunity to lead an amazing and committed staff who collaborate and support each other as they strategically address the cultural moral decay and work diligently to provide resources to individuals and churches. This is an excellent opportunity for a great leader to serve in an organization with a Gospel-focused mission!
Harvest USA is a non-profit that has been ministering to individuals and families affected by sexual struggles since 1983. With over 100 years of combined direct ministry experience, the Harvest USA staff also seek to equip the Church with their writing and teaching on biblical sexuality and how to help those who struggle sexually.
In the early years of ministry, Harvest USA began a ministry in Center City, Philadelphia to care for those affected by the AIDS crisis. Founded as a ministry to those particularly struggling with same-sex attraction, Harvest USA has since expanded its outreach to include those who struggle with sexual issues of all types. Harvest USA supports a conservative view of Biblical sexuality with roots in the Presbyterian Church in America. They hold to a Reformed perspective of theology which serves as a basis for their proven discipleship model. From the beginning, they have held firm to the conviction that the Gospel of Jesus Christ has the power to transform each life.
Today, the larger mission of Harvest USA is two-fold. First, Harvest USA seeks to be a resource to the local church, equipping individual congregations and the Church at large to better care for and disciple those affected by sexual brokenness. They provide excellent resources through blogs, videos, seminars, presentations, and books to support and strengthen the Church. Second, Harvest USA is committed to providing one-on-one discipleship and support groups for men, women, and parents in both its Philadelphia and Pittsburgh offices.
Harvest USA brings the truth and mercy of Jesus Christ by helping individuals and families affected by sexual struggles and by providing resources that address biblical sexuality to individuals and churches.
To partner with and equip the Church in bringing the power of the Gospel of Jesus Christ to transform the lives of those affected by sexual sin.
The President is the chief executive of Harvest USA and is responsible for leading the organization in collaboration with the Board of Directors and Senior Leadership Team.
PUBLIC FACING MINISTRY LEAD
• This role will present Harvest’s message to a variety of audiences, utilizing public speaking and written skills. Examples include speaking at church mission conferences and general denominational assemblies; also, creating blogs, writing articles, and crafting doctrinal position papers that address controversial and complex topics with which churches are grappling and seeking perspective. They will lead outward facing agendas including public relations.
• They will work with the leadership of the organization, including the Founder, John Freeman, as they begin to build their own network of donor relationships. They will drive the strategy and growth of the Development team (presently led by the Founder) and monitor effectiveness of the development effort, making improvements where needed.
• This role travels nationally to meet with donors and attend cultivation events.
• Chair the Strategic Planning Committee to craft a long-term plan for the Organization in collaboration with the Board of Directors.
• Craft a strategic marketing plan that best utilizes Harvest staff and resources, utilizing both digital and print technologies.
• Regularly debrief and consult with the Board Chair concerning challenges and major operational decisions.
• Coordinate board meetings with the Board Chair to ensure objectives are aligned and planned for.
• Serve as a de-facto member on all Board committees.
• Work with the Board Assimilation Committee to identify and cultivate new Board members.
• The Harvest President will provide visionary and operational leadership to the entire organization while reporting to the Board of Directors.
• The Chief Operating Officer will report to the President of Harvest.
• The main distinction between the President and the COO will be the President’s outward facing focus. Under the direction of the President, the COO will focus primarily on internal leadership. A collaborative working relationship will be of utmost importance.
• Leader – The Harvest President will require the ability to cast and implement a compelling vision. They will need to demonstrate sound decision making skills while maintaining a collaborative and humble spirit.
• Storyteller – This leader will have the gift of presenting and public speaking with effect. They will champion the message, mission and purpose of Harvest USA to individuals, churches and donors.
• Relational and People-focused – The role will require a leader who is adept at building relational capital with audiences, donors, staff, and the Board of Directors. This leader will understand the value of relationship as a requirement of effective ministry.
Harvest USA actively works to develop resources that will equip church leaders and laypeople to understand a biblical view of sexuality and to minister to men, women, and families who are affected by sexual struggles.
• Digital and Church Resources – The President will drive efforts to provide and enhance digital and church resources that equip and empower Biblically sound ministry and education.
• Internship Leadership Pipeline – Harvest’s President will assist with the formation and structure of a robust internship program that feeds the organization’s leadership pipeline and equips others for effective ministry in the area of Biblical sexuality.
• Donor Partnership and Development – The new leader will build on a rich donor history to ensure that the ministry of Harvest is funded into God’s preferred future for the organization.
• Agreement with Harvest USA’s Statement of Beliefs.
• Wholesale commitment and alignment to the mission and purpose of HUSA.
• 6+ years of significant leadership experience in likeminded or similar ministry organization.
• Graduate Degree Required (MDiv preferred or equivalent).
• Reformed Theological alignment.
• 35% travel (>35% first year)
Located in historic Upper Dublin Township in Montgomery County just north of Philadelphia city limits, Dresher is a family-oriented white-collar community comprised of an ethnically diverse population of about nine thousand people. With its reasonable cost of living, low crime rate and college-educated population, this is as family-friendly a region as you are likely to find anywhere in a thriving economic corridor that stretches down the East Coast.
Upper Dublin High School has been recognized three times by the U.S. Department of Education as a Blue Ribbon School of Excellence. For outdoor enthusiasts, the headwaters of Sandy Run, a tributary of the Wissahickon Creek heralded for its legendary beauty, can be found in Dresher, much of which flows through parkland. In addition, a thriving parks and recreation system serves residents with countless activities in green spaces ranging from neighborhood squares to sprawling meadow-like areas.
To the north lie the Pocono Mountains, which offer vacation and skiing opportunities (80 miles). The beautiful countryside of quaint Lancaster County is located to the west (55 miles). To the east you can be at the NJ ocean shore in about an hour (60 miles) and to the south are the beautiful Delaware beaches (a two ½ hour drive). Washington DC is approximately a four hour drive south and New York City is easily accessible by regional rail and Amtrak.
If an urban experience laden with colonial history, world-class museums, restaurants, and professional sports also appeals to you, the City of Brotherly Love is less than thirty-five minutes away, either by car or public transportation. Here in southeastern Pennsylvania, you can make the most of small-town living while still enjoying all the advantages of a vibrant metropolitan area.
AGORA Search Group is a faith-based Colorado Springs search firm providing executive search and selection services to churches and faith-based non-profits throughout the world.
Founded in April 2000, AGORA offers a record of 100% success in placing pastors, executives and senior-level leaders in churches and non-profit organizations. AGORA also has a high retention rate for pastors and mission leaders staying over 5 years. We want to serve as a catalyst for discernment in your search process: connecting the heartbeat of a mission with the heartbeat of a leader.
Malcolm Schaad is leading this search. For over 20 years, Malcolm has been serving the church in senior leadership roles. Malcolm’s experience in recruiting, marketing, and communications helps fuel his passion to fill high-level leadership roles within the local church and Christian organizations.
For further details regarding this role, please contact:
VP of Recruiting and Operations
AGORA Search Group